Anyone responsible for carrying out operational (one to three monthly) inspections of play equipment or play areas and those in a supervisory or maintenance role.
Those completing the course will be eligible to take the Register of Play Inspectors International assessment for routine visual inspections (option 2: extra charges apply).
To provide delegates with sufficient knowledge to be able to correctly carry out Operational Playground Inspections.
OPTION 1 : 2 Day training onlyCONTENT
OPTION 2 : 3 Day training & RPII assessment
Option 1: STC certificate of training.
Option 2: STC certificate of training and registration with RPII for routine visual inspections on successful completion of the assessment.
- Introduction to safety
- The importance of play to children and child development
- Playground accidents, types, severity and reasons
- The legal framework for playgrounds and inspections; negligence, case law, Acts of Parliament
- Health and safety at work
- A general knowledge of the European playground standards EN1176 & EN1177
- Types and hierarchy of playground inspections
- Risk assessment
- Principles of risk assessment
- Using risk assessments to make decisions & appropriate follow up actions
- Reporting and paperwork
- Inspection of specific play equipment or play features including surfacing
- Checking of maintenance and other playground actions taken
- Common faults with popular items
- How to inspect adequately and safely (including approaches to playgrounds; playground surroundings; and the active playground area, including non-play items)
- Common faults with popular equipment
- Practical on-site inspection
- Optional RPII assessment