All staff in schools. This course is designated for all those who need to provide basic first aid to older children aged 6 to 12. This course is not intended for those who already hold a First Aid qualification, or a 2 day Paediatric First Aid Certificate.
To enable delegates to provide basic first aid to 6-12 year olds.
By the end of the course, delegates will be able to administer first aid to children aged 6 - 12 years for a range of common first aid conditions.
- Know how to cope with an emergency with a child
- Understand the different procedures for treatment for children aged 6-12
- Aims of first aid
- Contents of a first aid kit
- Record keeping, Regulations and Hygiene
- Incident management, medical care plans and records
- Casualty management
- The unconscious child - checking vital signs
- The recovery position for children aged 6-12
- Rescue breaths and CPR for children aged 6-12
- Procedure for dealing with airway and breathing disorders
- Bleeding and wounds
- Shock, causes and treatment
- Common medical conditions - Meningitis - Sickle cell - Croup - Diabetes - Epilepsy - Anaphylactic shock
- Head injuries
- If time allows: Eye problems and the effects of heat and cold, burns
- Open forum
It is recommended that you renew your certificate every 3 years.