All schools staff who hold a First Aid at Work Qualification or a 2 day Paediatric First Aid Certificate who need to provide basic first aid to older children aged 6-12.
To enable staff to provide basic first aid to 6-12 year olds.
By the end of the course, delegates will be able to administer first aid to children aged 6-12 years for a range of common first aid conditions.
- Know how to cope with an emergency with a child
- Understand the different procedures for treatment of older/younger casualties
- Preparation (danger, calling for help, location, useful equipment, medication, information from parents)
- Observation (colour, personality change, temperature change)
- Managing an Incident (casualty care)
- The unconscious child - checking vital signs
- The recovery position for older children
- Rescue breaths and CPR for older children
- Procedure for dealing with an older child who is choking
- Checking vital signs in an older child
- Meningitis - recognition and treatment
- Dependent on time and the group (some/all of the following may be included) - Nose
- Bleeds/Poisons/Asthma/Electric Shock/Shock/Head Injuries/Diabetic Emergency/Croup/Sickle Cell/Extreme Heat/Cold/Burns/Eye Injuries etc.
- Open forum
It is recommended that you renew your certificate every 3 years.